Pictured above is an aerial view of Raleigh Bonded Warehouse looking northeast taken in approximately 1935. Capital Boulevard would later run on the right side of the warehouses.
The open land seen above the warehouses would later be developed as the Georgetown neighborhood, built in response to the urgent need for housing directly following WWII.
In 1946 the Georgetown Housing Corporation purchased several large parcels to comprise their development including a 9.7-acre farm seen in the center of the frame. The house situated on the farm, also seen in the center of the frame, was built c. 1917 by Lemuel Parmley a Seaboard Air Line conductor.
Rather than raze the farmhouse, Georgetown developers decided to simply build around it. The result was a large, Craftsman-style farmhouse surrounded by modest two and three-bedroom homes. Now 1707 Patton Road, the house sits on nearly an acre of land, one of the largest residential lots in the area--but a far cry from its once expansive 9.7 acres.
Below are two maps of the Georgetown neighborhood!
Georgetown, circa 1911 – North Blount (later Carson) St., Whitaker Mill Rd., Georgetown Rd., Pershing Rd., shows County Home, Wake Forest Rd., and rail
Georgetown, October 1917 – North Blount (later Carson) St., Whitaker Mill Rd., Georgetown Rd., Pershing Rd., shows County Home, Wake Forest Rd., rail lines, and Pigeon House Branch.
_ N.53.15.8337 From the Albert Barden Collection, State Archives of NC.